The Abbeydale Picturehouse was opened in 1920 by the Lord Mayor and was the largest and most luxurious cinema in Sheffield at the time. It boasted mosaic floors, a glass canopy with marble columns to the exterior and intricate detailing throughout. Over time, it sadly fell into disrepair and was used as a furniture showroom in the 70s until the Friends of the Abbeydale Picturehouse set up their pledge to preserve and revive the space. The continuation of this work began in 2017, when the space was taken on by CADS (Creative Arts Development Sheffield), an arts charity, armed with a long-term vision to transform and use the building as a space for good, and for creative endeavour.
Inner City Weddings have been working in-house at the Abbeydale Picturehouse for the past four years, establishing and delivering a wedding programme to bring in vital commercial income for renovations and improvements to the space, whilst allowing couples the freedom and flexibility to create a wedding less ordinary within these historic walls.